Honey Loaf - BREAD

Bread!

Is been almost a year now since we gave up shop bought bread and started baking our own. It was an easier transition that I thought, and I am now in a rhythm of baking bread once or twice a week (depending on how much we are eating).
I do two loaves at a time and freeze the other till needed.

The thing about bread is, that each loaf is a little bit different. It may rise a bit better one day depending on the weather, (or how pushed for time you are)! It may taste slightly different, a dash more sugar or salt here or there, butter instead of oil.
The one thing that never changes though is the amazing smell it fills your home with. Or the race to slice the crust off and smother it with a dollop of fresh butter as soon as it's out of the oven. These are memories, happy memories, that I hope will be passed down and the next generation can create them with their families too.

So back to the actual bread! In the initial stages I tried dozens of different recipes trying to find a good everyday loaf that my family loved, that recipe is here: Everyday White Bread

With the changing weather and the fact that I'm in such a routine of baking now I thought I would switch things up a bit, with a new recipe! To me, this recipe is far from the old one. With a few things that I have not added before. But guess what, we love this one too! This one I do not do in my kenwood mixer, this one I mix by hand, and I really really enjoy making this for my family. It really is made with love!

So here it is our 'new' everyday honey loaf recipe!!

Honey Loaf



Ingredients:

2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon of instant dried yeast
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of salt
6 cups of plain/all purpose flour

Method:

Start with a large bowl.
Pour in wet ingredients and stir to combine.
Add salt and flour and mix in with your hands till it comes together in a ball.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board.
Knead for ten minutes, stretching and turning the dough around in quarter turns, folding it back on itself. You will feel the dough change. It will start out by being quite firm, then it will become soft and pliable, this is when your dough is ready.
Oil your bowl and place dough back in, in a neat ball, lightly oil the whole outside of the dough so it doesn't dry out.
Cover with a clean dry tea towel and leave in a warm area to rise for 1 hour.

After the dough has risen to double it's original size, punch down (literally by punching the centre of the dough).
Cut your dough in half with a floured knife (to make 2 loaves).
Shape your 2 loaves and put into bread tins (or leave free form).
Leave to rise for another 45 minutes (again till they have doubled in size). Covered with a tea towel.
Put into a preheated oven at 190 degrees celsius for about 30-40 minutes, until hollow sounding when tapped and golden brown on the top.

Leave for 15 minutes to cool slightly and lock in flavours, then turn out and enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts