What to plant - JANUARY - Australian Temperate Climate


Keeping with my post yesterday about our ‘backyard farm’, I thought that I would help you to create your own! Are you with me….?

 All it takes is a little planning – What do you like to eat? What do you would like to grow? What do you have room to grow (do you have a garden bed or a patch of dirt, or do you have no ‘garden’ as it were, but could plant in pots and hanging baskets)? What do you have time to look after as it grows? Ask yourself these questions; remember google is great for finding out how big plants grow, or what care they will need. I couldn’t possibly put them all down. Or go to your local plant nursery and ask there!

 I have a planting diary on this blog of what we plant here at Four Chooks Farm each month. But those things are not the only things you can plant. There is an abundance of seeds and seedlings that can be planted each month, to ensure that year round you have something to harvest from your garden.

Each month I will do a post on what to plant that month for South Australia’s climate – Adelaide in particular. Our weather can vary drastically from one end of the state to the other.

So here we go….

Vegetable seedlings to plant:
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflowers
Endive
French Beans
Kale
Leeks
Sprouting Broccoli
Zucchini

Vegetable seeds to sow directly into the garden:
Beetroot
Carrots
Florence Fennel
French Beans
Kale
Parsley
Radishes
Sprouting Broccoli
Sweetcorn
Swiss Chard/Spinach Beet
Turnips
Zucchini

Salad seeds to sow directly into the garden:
Chicory
Endive
Lettuces
Radishes
Rocket
Spring Onions

Let me know how you go…….What did you plant this month?

Comments

  1. Thank you! I was just wondering what to plant next.... I've written down the vegies and salad plants I would like to have and I am going to get some seedlings and some seeds today. Thank you for making it so simple. I must say that last week's oppressive heat worked wonders for my cos lettuces. They absolutely thrived!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help! Send me pics when your done!!
    And yes my lettuce went wildly too! I was so surprised, I have so much the chickens are helping us eat it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your my authority on all things garden/chickens! Could you tell by my question at the cinema today? Do chickens eat zuchinni leaves/stalks? Ha ha . This week I tried something new- planted lettuce and carrot seeds! Will see how they go!! Mum xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts